Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Call

That's what they call it. "The Call". This is when you get a call from either Maggie or Robert, they verify your information, and at the end, they ask if you want to be on Jeopardy! I had read about the Call in forums, discussions, and blogs, and hoped I would get one too. Many people say they look at their Caller ID and see a 310 area code (being from LA, I know that's an LA area code). So I knew what to look for.

Once, I got a call from a 301 area code. I was briefly excited during a moment of confusion, but the call from my credit card company based in Maryland just wasn't the same.

I had finished my shelf exam on a Friday and was flying out to New York the next day. I was really looking forward to my one week vacation.  Funnily enough, I had a strange feeling that maybe, maybe if I got the Call, it could be this week. Sixth sense? Premonition? Coincidence?

I had a lovely weekend and was having a picnic in Washington Square Park when I looked at my phone and saw that I had missed a call... FROM A 310 AREA CODE. O.M.G. The caller didn't leave a voicemail, and I don't normally call back numbers, but this time, I did. 

"Hello - I just missed a call..."
"Is this R?"
"Yes..."
"Hi, this is Maggie from Jeopardy!"
"HI MAGGIE, I'M REALLY GLAD YOU CALLED" 

We talked for a few minutes - verified my information and eligibility, and then... would I like to come out and tape on September 23??

eeeeeeeeee! That's what I shrieked in the middle of Washington Square Park.

Definitely goes down as one of my top 5 best days. Which isn't too hard since my top 5 list only has one day so far - #1 being the day I graduated from college and then later saw Magic Johnson and Brian Shaw on my plane back home. But yeah, with a lovely dinner at Gramercy Tavern later that night, I could be convinced this was #2. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment